Sunday, June 04, 2006

Packing list for cycling the road to Rome

This was our proposed packing list for cycling to Rome.

Medical
Tweezers
Scissors
Plasters
Dioralyte
Vitamins
Sports nutrition stuff - I'll report back on whether it works
Medications
Imodium
Antiseptic wipes
Bite cream
Insect repellant
Compede - whilst I shouldn't get blisters while cycling I do when walking and was forced to cycle over the Pyrenees despite being totally unfit for it because I was too blistered to walk.
Tubi-grip - if I need this I'm not cycling any further than a pharmacy anyway, so I left it behind.
Painkillers


Personal
Contact lenses
Sun screen factor 40
Toothpaste/brush - will take mostly used up tube
Shampoo/shower gel - may go with just shampoo for hair, body and clothes
Moisturiser
Towel
Razor
Shower shoes - flip flop type things for communal living
Tissues - for use as emergency loo roll
Deodorant - futile, but makes me feel better
Make up - good suggestion, I took lipstick to make me feel human on the camino but it melted and got all over the place. Maybe I'll reintroduce lipgloss in a sealed tube
Earplugs - travelling with a snorer
Sleeping bag - duh! plus liner, which I'll sleep in on its own if it's hot

Bike
Cereal bars
Water bottles
Corkscrew
Tools
Allen key
Tape
Cable ties
Inner tubes
Spokes - not sure about these as I don't know how to fit them
Lights - small and light doubling as torch
Puncture kit
WD40
Spoon
Lock
Helmet

Clothes
Waterproof jacket
Sunglasses
PJ's - big t-shirt and big knickers for dormitories
Knickers - cheap Asda thongs, comfy, light, and cheap enough to be disposable
Socks - again, disposable, worth a little extra weight for feeling clean
Cycling shorts - 2 pairs, not padded for me
Bikini top - underwired to double as bra
Vest tops
T-shirt - need something with sleeves to stop burn and for churches
Sarong - for churches, doubles as all purpose large piece of light fabric
Cargo shorts - lots of pockets for off bike time
Shoes - not cleats, sturdy trainers for on/off bike use
Bra


Valuables
Credit/cash card
Cash
Pilgrim passport
Passport
Insurance/E111
Driving licence
Flight details
Camera/memory cardcharger/adaptor - cheaper and lighter than disposables I took to Spain
Phone/charger/adaptor - not certain I'll take this
Maps - with unnecssary areas cut off
Compass - will take cheap Tchibo watch with compass alitimeter thermometer. Fancy Lance Armstrong one got knackered on Camino trip. Boo to Tchibo, the watch hasn't arrived.
Guidebook and accommodation book
Phrasebook - I forgot to learn Italian
Journal
Pen

No comments: